The Nest

The Student News Site of Eureka Middle School

The Nest

The Nest

State Track
State Track
May 16, 2024

Does Technology Alienate Us?

Does Technology Alienate Us?

Technology. It’s is everywhere in the world, it’s literally integrated into everyday life. From computers to phones, or even watches. Did you know the word “bug” for a glitch in a computer, originated from a moth causing a computer malfunction? Or that the first computer weighed more than 27 tons? Can you even imagine carrying that computer? Did you ever think about how technology could make us more alone? We have a poll for you to decide on what you think is true. We’ve asked three 8th graders, one 8th grade teacher, and one 7th grade teacher.  The question we asked was whether or not technology makes us more alone. Here are their responses:

• Honey Brown “No, because you have online friends.”
    • Jasmine Adams “No, because we can talk to friends.”
    • Anthony Denim “No, because people are gonna hate you because you post something online and your friends will hate you and leave you. And yes, because you can be lazy and make friends online.”
    • Mrs. Hobbs “No, because technology is used to connect people to other people and using technology isn’t what makes people lonely.”
    • Mrs. Worner “No, because people no matter where they are can be reached by technology.”

This poll has ended.

Does Technology Alienate Us?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.