The Nest

The Student News Site of Eureka Middle School

The Nest

The Nest

Lego League

Have you ever heard of Lego League? Maybe you haven’t. This article is all about Lego League. We interviewed a few members of Lego League and asked them questions about what they do and what they like about it. If you don’t know what they do (and no, they don’t just build Legos), a few members of the team explain it very well. Sam Miller says, “We come up with a presentation that we want to share with the world, and we also code a robot to complete a mission on a board.” Evan Schmidler stated, “The whole task is to create a robot that follows specific commands. Then, we have to develop a project about a particular topic. We showcase our projects to the judges by performing a skit that we plan.” Finally, Stanley Cunningham stated, “At the main competition, we build a robot that we place on a table where there are tasks that we have to program our robot to complete. Then, we write about how we created our robot, which is called the robot presentation. Another thing we do is create a skit and project based on one of the team members’ hobbies, and we chose drawing.” If you still don’t understand, maybe you should ask one of them yourselves. But to me, it makes a lot of sense now.

Next, we asked those three people what their favorite part about Lego League is. Sam Miller told us, “Being able to come up with an idea and share that idea with the judges. Also, being on a team and working together to achieve a common goal.” Evan Schmidler said, “Just creating robots and making them do the right thing.” Finally, Stanley Cunningham said, “Uhhh… the skit.”

7th graders, if you think this sounds fun, you have the chance to join next year!