The Nest

The Student News Site of Eureka Middle School

The Nest

The Nest

Diving into Volleyball

We interviewed three seventh-grade volleyball players and three eighth-grade volleyball players.

First, we interviewed Lillian Roth and asked her what she is most excited about for this season. She quickly answered, “Being with the team and playing one of my favorite sports.” Then we asked her what her favorite part of volleyball is, and she said, “Diving, setting, and getting good hits.” Our last question was how long she wants to play volleyball, and hesitantly she said she might do it in high school or she will do Cross Country.

Next, we talked to Bristol Wiegand and asked her what she is most excited about for this upcoming season. After thinking for a bit, she said playing more competitively and being with the team. Then we asked her what her favorite part of volleyball is, and she didn’t even need to think about it. She said playing back row and diving for the ball. Lastly, we asked her how long she wants to play volleyball competitively, and after thinking for a long time, she said through high school.

Next, we interviewed Kaiya Schumacher. When we asked her what she is most excited about for this upcoming season, she responded with working as a team in competition. Then we asked, “What is your favorite part of volleyball?” She responded by saying, “Hitting the volleyball across the net.” We also asked how long she wants to play volleyball competitively. She thought for a minute and responded, “Through high school.”

We interviewed Kia Boles, and the first question we asked her was if she thinks their team can win state again. She thinks they can if they work hard. Next, we asked why she thinks her team is so successful, and she immediately said, “We have played together for a long time, and we are all friends.” Our next question was what her favorite part of volleyball is, and right away Kia answered with, “Mrs. Hoelscher and hanging out with the team.” We asked her what her favorite part of volleyball was, and enthusiastically she said, “Diving!” After that, we asked how long she wants to play volleyball competitively, and she said, “Maybe a couple of years in high school.” Our last question was who her biggest competition was last year, and she said, “Tri-Valley.”

After that, we talked to Fallon Johnson. The first thing we asked was if she thinks she will make it to state again, and she said yes if they work hard. Then we asked her why she thinks the team is so successful, and she said because they work hard and have good coaches. After that question, we asked her what she is most excited about for this upcoming season. After thinking for a little bit, she said a chance to win state again. Next, we asked what her favorite part of volleyball is, and she mentioned hanging out with friends, fun coaches, and opportunities to win. Then we talked to her about how long she wants to play volleyball competitively, and she said through high school. Lastly, we asked her who their biggest competition is, and like most people, she said Tri-Valley.

The last person we interviewed was Krissa Agnew. We asked her if she thinks they will win state again, and she said yes. When we asked her why they are so successful, she said, “A lot of us play club, and we also work well together.” She said this season she is most looking forward to beating Dee-Mack, Morton, and Tri-Valley. She is also looking forward to creating new memories and being with Mrs. Hoelscher. We asked what her favorite part of volleyball is, and she said, “Kills.” The next thing we asked her was how long she wants to play volleyball competitively, and she responded by saying, “Through high school and maybe farther.” The last question we asked Krissa was who their biggest competition was last year, and she said Tri-Valley.

When we asked Mrs. Hoelscher why she likes coaching volleyball, she responded steadfastly, “It is always exciting.” Then we asked her what the hardest part of being a good coach is, and she then said, “Lots of time away from my family.”