The Nest

The Student News Site of Eureka Middle School

The Nest

The Nest

Dungeons and Dragons Part Two

Electric Boogaloo
Credit Given To Wizard of The Coast
Credit Given To Wizard of The Coast

Dungeons and Dragons, the greatest role-playing game in existence, offers a multitude of ways to play. There are elves, dwarves, and even ordinary humans. The main races all provide something simple, like stat increases, but some grant extraordinary feats, spells, and even the ability to fly!

The Human is a very simple race in D&D, but there is a variant that grants them something called a feat, which gives them a special power, such as climbing, running farther, and gaining more hit points. If they have a feat, they get two stat increases of their choice, but if they don’t, they get a stat increase to all of their stats instead.

Elves are long-lived beings, living for thousands of years unless they meet an untimely demise while adventuring. They have an increase to their dexterity and have three subraces. The High Elf has an increase in intelligence and has access to a single cantrip, which is a basic spell. They also have proficiency with all bows, short swords, and longswords. The Wood Elf also has proficiency with bows and swords, along with increased wisdom and a +10 movement speed. The last subrace is the Drow, who live in the underdark and have their darkvision increased from 60 feet to 120 feet. They also have innate spells, such as darkness and dancing lights.

Dwarves are short and hearty people, living in their mountainous homes and creating great works of weapons and armor. They have a decreased movement speed of 25, but if they are wearing armor that exceeds their carry weight, they are not slowed down. They also have increased constitution. There are two subraces of dwarves: Hill Dwarfs and Mountain Dwarfs. Hill Dwarfs have poison resistance and their wisdom is increased by 1. Mountain Dwarfs have an increase of 1 in strength and the ability to discern what has happened to stone in the area.

Halflings are short people who have a very homey nature. They have an increased dexterity of 2 and are lucky, able to reroll ones on D20s. The Lightfoot subrace has the ability to turn invisible in light cover and has a +1 charisma. The Stout dwarf has better constitution and a resistance to poison and poison damage.

Gnomes are another short race, but they are much less homey and more focused on technology. They have a decreased speed of 25 ft and a +2 intelligence. There are two subraces of gnomes: the Forest Gnome and the Rock Gnome. Forest Gnomes are proficient in stealth and illusions, have a +1 dexterity, and have access to the minor illusion spell. Rock Gnomes are the more technologically inclined gnomes, able to build little contraptions, and have a +1 wisdom.

Dragonborns are tall, half-human, half-dragon creatures. They have three subraces: Chromatic, Metallic, and Gem. Gem Dragons gain flight at 5th level and have access to a breath weapon that causes some form of psychic damage. Chromatic Dragons have an elemental breath weapon and access to a chromatic ward, which gives them damage resistance to their type of damage. Metallic Dragonborns have access to two breath weapons. They all have a +2 charisma increase and a +1 strength increase.

Half-Elves are a mix between Elves and humans. They have a +2 charisma increase and a +1 wisdom increase. They have access to darkvision, the Elves’ trance ability, and can choose an artisan’s tool of their choice. They do not have any subraces, but some people allow them to have certain traits of their elven ancestry to enhance their lore.

Half-Orcs are a mix between orcs and humans. They have a +2 strength increase and a +1 constitution increase. They also have the ability to enter a death rage, which allows them to stay alive and attack for another turn after they die. They do not have any subraces, and the closest thing to a subrace is the orc race.

Tieflings are a mix between a devil from the abyss or the nine hells and a human. They have a +2 charisma increase and a +1 intelligence increase. They have access to three spells that they unlock at levels 1, 3, and 5. They also have resistance to fire damage.

Aarakocra are giant birds. They have access to a flight speed of 50 feet, but their normal movement speed is only 25 feet. They have a +2 dexterity increase, a +1 wisdom increase, and talons that work as unarmed weapons, dealing 1d4 damage. They do not have any subraces and usually have a lifespan of only 30 years.

Danial Goviea – I usually play as a human.

Simon Lynch – I usually play as a Triton, which is a half-fish, half-human.

Sam Millier – I can’t decide between playing as a gnome for the magic or a tiefling because they are cool.