Check out Makerspace

Here you see a walrus and a fox made with pixels.

Lydia Martin

This poll has ended.

If you were to go to the makerspace, what would you do?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

A makerspace is an area in a school where students can go and be creative and explore for a class period. Kids can collaborate with each other and share ideas. Makerspaces can include many different things. Some examples include arts and crafts, building supplies, painting, and sometimes techy stuff, and 3-D printers. Makerspaces can be located in many different places, like a library or its own separate room. Our makerspace is located in the library and includes arts and crafts, drawing, painting, building stuff, and more. 

I interviewed Mrs. Meiss who created the makerspace that we have at EMS. She got the idea last year from other librarians. “Someone was talking about their makerspace at their school, and I thought that it would be something that we would really have fun with and benefit from here at EMS,” she says.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to just be creative and have fun if they don’t have the resources to do so at home.””

— Mrs. Meiss

When asked what her favorite part of the makerspace here was, Mrs. Meiss replied, “I like anything arts & crafts. If I were to sit down and do something myself I would probably do something with clay. I’m really excited for the pearler beads once I get all of the stuff to do them. I also think that the Keva Planks are really cool.” 

In the future, Mrs. Meiss wants to get more high-tech stuff. “As you go higher up in technology, I would love to have a 3D printer and a hydroponic growing kit where you can grow plants. There’s a lot of stuff that’s techy that would be fun to learn and figure out with the students,” she says. 

I also got to interview several students who have been to the makerspace before. 

I asked them what their favorite part of the makerspace here was.  Penny Albertson, an eighth grader, said, “I really like the clay and all of the different options of stuff to do.” Kennedy Stamm, also an eighth grader said, “I like the 3D pen!”

When asked what she would like to see in the future, Kennedy said, “Playdough.” Ella Schuh and Kyla Coy, also eighth graders, said that they would like to see bracelet-making supplies. 

The last question that was asked was if they would recommend the makerspace to other students. They all said, “Yes, but no because we want to have it to ourselves!”

When I went to the makerspace, I had a lot of fun! There were so many options to choose from. I chose to spend my time building stuff. I made a walrus out of these little pixel things that are like Legos but not really. I also attempted to make a swing out of straws. The swing didn’t turn out super well, but it was still a lot of fun! Bri Reinacher, who came with me to the makerspace to take the pictures, make a panda and an arctic fox out of the pixels. She said, “It’s a lot of fun!” 

The makerspace here at EMS is a great break from school when you don’t have any homework or need a little break, and it is super fun for anyone and everyone! I totally recommend you check it out! Just make sure you go to Mrs. Meiss to sign up because there is only a certain number of kids that can go a day.