Day of Service

Lydia Martin

Day of Service is a day designed for the students at EMS to go into the community and help different organizations. Mr. Nichols shared the history of Day of Service and some other facts about the day that you might not have known.

We asked Mr. Nichols how long EMS had been doing Day of Service. He said, “This is our third year doing it. We did it in 2018, 2019, and then took a break during COVID. 2022 was the third year.”

When he was asked who came up with the idea, he said,

“When we created our soft skill list 4-5 years ago, we knew service needed to be a part of it. Then we looked at how to identify a way to teach service. There have been other schools that have done similar things. We talked to some of them to get some guidance.””

— Mr. Nichols

Mr. Nichols said that there were several parts about Day of Service that he likes. First off, he likes getting to see students out of the classroom. He said, “Learning happens in many ways, not just inside a regular classroom. Seeing students interact with the community is a great learning experience.” He also likes to hear the all positive comments from the different sites. “They really appreciate the help, and they always say good things about the students,” he says.

The last question that Mr. Nichols was asked was if he thought that the students like Day of Service. He replied, “I hope they do. I hope they like getting outside the classroom and visiting somewhere new. I also hope they like the feeling that comes from helping someone else. Everyone can serve, whether it’s doing something like a service trip or just holding the door open for people. When we put others before ourselves, we begin to learn that it actually makes us feel good too!”

As a student at EMS, I love Day of Service! It’s a great way to help out the community, and it makes you feel good when you help others. I went to the Goodfield Fire Department, and we got to clean firetrucks and help out around the station. Getting to get out of the classroom and outside is really nice every once and a while. It’s a different way to learn that’s fun and interactive.

Day of Service is overall a creative and fun way to help out the community, and it’s a great way for the students to practice their soft skills!