Sing into Band-Buddy night

Dakota Shipley

________________________________________________________________

Articles

This past Friday there was the EMS Band Buddy Night! This is where all the 7th and 8th-grade students come together with the high school marching band to see what we 7th and 8th Graders will be doing if we decide to do marching band in high school. If this story makes you want to try out band, Mr. Wyland will appreciate it, and in the future, Mr. Stalter will too.

Okay, so we usually start off by practicing and practicing the school song over and over for about a month and a half. Then,  Mr. Wyland starts explaining the details of how this is going to happen. It usually starts off by going to the high school band room and hanging out with your band friends then we go over to the Davenport parking lot to practice our warm-up scale, stand tunes, and most importantly the school song. Then we practice it again by walking up and marching to our assigned spot where we are playing. Then we went back to the EHS Band Room to put our instruments away and then they provided pizza and water for us which is pretty cool. Then after dinner, we played a couple of yard games.

Then about an hour later we go into the band room and practice one more time for about 30 minutes. Then, we went out onto the football field and waited to start our little performance.

THEN IT ALL STARTED…

We went marching onto the field with a special march you will learn once you get to 7th and 8th Grade. Once we got there, the EHS marching band started playing the National Anthem while we stood. Then we EMS students put our trumpets up to our faces and then we started playing the school song. Then the high school students went off, then the middle school came off shortly after.

Then we had to sit in the bleachers and play “Pep Stand Tunes”, and part of  “We will Rock You” every time there was a play. That was just for Quarters 1 and 2 then we stopped and packed up everything.

IF THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WANT TO DO GO DOWN TO THE BAND ROOM AND TALK TO MR. WYLAND!

__________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Wyland Q&A

1. How did we do?

It was good. Mr. Wyland thought the 7th and 8th grades did well. Also, we got to meet some high schoolers we have never met before.

2. When did we start Band Buddy Night?

Mr. Wyland started doing it last year but it started many years before he got here.

3. Did the music sound good?

Yes, we sounded good overall.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Student Feedback

FROM ADRIAN LEE – 8TH GRADE TRUMPET PLAYER

1. How did we do?

He thought we did good he did not hear anyone around him screw up any notes or himself

2. Did the Music sound good?

Yes, the music sounded good.

3. Would you have done anything differently?

No, he would not have done anything differently.

FROM PARKS LEMAN – 8TH GRADE PERCUSSION PLAYER

1. How did we do?

He said, “GOATED”.

2. Did the Music sound good?

He said again, “WE WERE PRO”.

He said he would have played better.